How Should We Then Live?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

How Should We Then Live?
How Should We Then Live?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John MacArthur

3 posters

Go down

John MacArthur Empty John MacArthur

Post by JoelKizz Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 am

OK guys I need some input on this one. Is this little talk "grace belittling"? Or a healthy rebuke of licentious lifestyles? And please hear my heart on this, i respect a ton what MacArthur has done / is doing for the Kingdom, but some of this just comes off as well, judgmental. Specifically, the emphasis on "young guys" and the slam on Piper for having Rick Warren at Desiring God. I think its obvious that if a "church" isnt shepherding, praying, ministering, etc then yeah they are not Biblical but some of the other stuff seems kinda petty to me. Let me know if I'm overreacting or missing the point.
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

https://thenlive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

John MacArthur Empty Re: John MacArthur

Post by XianSmitherman Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:16 pm

Woah, this goes together so well with the lesson in church today. Of course those without roots will wither away. He does kinda sound like a somewhat bitter old man, but I do understand where he's coming from. You're spot on though, Joel, as I see Piper and Warren being on stage together as a testament of the Body of Christ coming together to achieve a mutual goal, not a contradiction. I'd put him down as a curmudgeon and leave it at that.
XianSmitherman
XianSmitherman

Back to top Go down

John MacArthur Empty O Johnny Mac

Post by lifesvapor Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:13 am

I agree with previous statements about the respect for J Mac. I have benefited greatly from his life and ministry. My J-Mac study bible is so tattered that it is on its second roll of duct tape. I will certainly be turning to his notes to help me understand Is.53 as I prepare to preach for this Sunday. He will probably be (to use Whitefield's line about Wesley) so close to the throne of Jesus in the eternal state that I will never even be able to see him. And on and on I could go....

This, however, seems to be another one of his dogmatic, narrowed, and (in my opinion) reactionary comments that not only is blunt in its indictment but also wrong (like the statement he has made concerning the fact that any self respecting Calvanist has to be pre-millenial and embrace dispensationalism). I still have not got the Youtube thing down, but here is a link for that comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2uuDXAhHU

I feel like he is stereotyping too much. Who is he talking about with the holey jeans? (Driscoll, and others?) Why does he not call them out? The only person he does call out (Piper) I agree with previous comments. Piper, I believe, is doing what a John 17 prayer of Jesus would be pleased with. By the way, listen to Warren's message at the DG conference. Pretty good stuff!

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/conference-messages/the-battle-for-your-mind#/watch/full

Bottom line: God has given Johnny Mac a prophetic voice. I am sure he is accurate in his assessment in some ways. I just wish he would give specifics in his sweeping denunciations. If he has seen particular people (not shepherding, or building community, or praying with their people, etc.) call them out so the community of faith can hold them accountable or see if this rebuke is substantiated. I think this in line with 1 Tim.5:17-20. Though not a local church I think the appeal to not receive an accusation against an elder except by 2 or 3 (credible) witnesses, and "rebuke in the presence of all" would necessitate such specificity in his statements.
lifesvapor
lifesvapor

Back to top Go down

John MacArthur Empty Re: John MacArthur

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down