How Should We Then Live?

Poverty Gospel - Just Ride The Bike!

Go down

Poverty Gospel - Just Ride The Bike!

Post by Jeremyshall on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Back to top Go down

Re: Poverty Gospel - Just Ride The Bike!

Post by XianSmitherman on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Great story!

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:08 am

OK I'm going to come at this from a slightly different angle..(not sure how I missed this post before).
While I agree with driscoll's point here my main argument is that it is like telling fat kids they don't need to over exercise. Yes, over exercising can be bad for you. It can become obsessive, etc, etc. but when your talking to a camp of fattys (which I would be one of) is that really a necessary message? I don't think the American church needs a word of encouragement on "accepting God's gifts and using them personally."-- We've got that covered! The American Church needs to hear, "get off your butt and give some of the piles of stuff that has been given to you to someone else!"

The message just seems to be addressing a problem that I see VERY LITTLE of in the AMERICAN church.

Admin

http://thenlive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm

So, Joel, your argument is that you shouldn't at least warn the fat kid? This article was specifically directed at the people who have swung so far away from the prosperity gospel that they have gone just as far in the wrong direction. This is a call for a balanced view of who God is, not an encouragement to accept God's gifts and use them personally. Just because the majority of us have it wrong on the selfish side doesn't negate the sinfullness of going to far in the opposite direction. Also, should Dricsoll only address things that we see as pressing sin? How do you know what he has been dealing with in his local body?

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Jeremyshall wrote:So, Joel, your argument is that you shouldn't at least warn the fat kid? This article was specifically directed at the people who have swung so far away from the prosperity gospel that they have gone just as far in the wrong direction. This is a call for a balanced view of who God is, not an encouragement to accept God's gifts and use them personally. Just because the majority of us have it wrong on the selfish side doesn't negate the sinfullness of going to far in the opposite direction. Also, should Dricsoll only address things that we see as pressing sin? How do you know what he has been dealing with in his local body?

I have no idea what he is dealing with in his local body but when you throw it up on the internet and you market yourself to the country with DVDs, studies, seminars, etc you sort of make yourself responsible to all those people you are marketing to as well. I didn't see any sort of context as this being "directed at the people who have swung so far away from the prosperity gospel."
My main point is that while this message has a place I'm just not sure many people in the richest country in the world need to hear it. Taking God's gifts for ourselves is something we have a pretty good grip on.

Admin

http://thenlive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by b2054972426 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:09 pm

I agree with Joel, most christians in america don't think that they need to go help the poor, fatherless, and widows or to spread God's word to all nations. The fact that this isn't a "pressing sin" or even a concern for some is a problem and one that should be focus on more than others. For these are the last things Jesus commanded us to do, and this might not be the case for all the churches in america, but it is a major problem in america. Jeremy, I'm curious on what you see has a pressing sin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Schenck13 on Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 am

How'd I miss this one?

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
(Matthew 16:24-26)

Found a quote from some dude named Ambrose Bierce who said:
"Self-denial is indulgence of a propensity to forego."

While I understand that men can diminish material blessings from the Lord, the Bible seems to warn so heavily the other way. Sinners don't need help accepting blessing. And my views on depravity make it hard for me to see his story more than purely a hypothetical Christian predicament that's never happened.

The next soul I meet that isn't concretely opposed to denying oneself, by his fallen nature, will be the first.

I pray my kid's hearts are always like the boy in the story. You're either sinning selfishly by hoarding your blessings and trying to get more, or you're sinning by thinking too much of others, throwing God's blessings back to Him.

I hope my kids pick the latter, and sin boldly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Schenck13 on Sun May 06, 2012 2:00 am

***Addition to above***

I re read the story again, just so I could make sure I didn't miss anything.

"the propensity to forego" a gift of any kind, from a child especially, is mythical fantasy, as much as sinners saved by grace who err by wanting to give too much of their stuff and life away.

My fear is that this is exactly what itching ears want to hear, and it only gives further credence to a capitalistic, material worldview that appeals greatly to most. That creates salve for a conscience that wants to be rich young rulers, without the prospect that Jesus' words could make us feel sorrowful in light of many possessions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinks on Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 pm

I view the message of the story as this:

Accept God's gifts graciously and use them appropriately.

Simple enough. Or is it?
We must be able to discern a gift from God from a temptation of evil. A windfall of money can be either a test allowed by God or a gift directly from Him. As in the story, the Father is speaking clearly but the child refuses to listen and clouds the will of the Father with his own thoughts. The child is determined to use the gift as he sees fit rather than listen to the clear message of the Father. The key is to listen when God speaks and act in obedience. The lyric 'Trust and obey' comes to mind.

To me the story is one of obedience. Clearly the child hears what the Father is saying but the child refuses to obey the instructions of the Father. If we, as the American church, focus on seeking God's will and obeying his will we won't have to bother with poverty or prosperity gospel getting in the way because these are things that come from our own sin.
Spinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down