How Should We Then Live?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

How Should We Then Live?
How Should We Then Live?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Image of Adam?

3 posters

Go down

Image of Adam? Empty Image of Adam?

Post by JoelKizz Wed May 09, 2012 12:14 am

Ok on being created in the image of God, my question is in reference to the begining of Genesis chapter 5 which says,
"This is the book of the generations of Adam. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Man when they were created. When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth." (emphasis mine)

Is the fact that the Bible records Seth as being born in the image of Adam significant? I realize there are a couple of ways to view this:

1- Adam is born in the image of God and then Seth is born in his image (thus also in the image of God.)

2- Seth is born in the image of a fallen Adam and thus not in the image of God but in the image of fallen man.

I'm leaning towards #2 (that we are born in the image of Adam and REBORN into the image of God) and would love to hear others thoughts on the matter. BTW, this doesn't mean that man in general doesn't retain some form of the image of God but that instead the form he has is a distorted copy that is marred by sin (original sin).
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

https://thenlive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Image of Adam? Empty Re: Image of Adam?

Post by XianSmitherman Wed May 09, 2012 2:16 am

Yeah, that seems to make the most sense. #2
XianSmitherman
XianSmitherman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall Wed May 09, 2012 10:46 am

I realize that both 1 and 2 seem to say different thingsbut my question is what would be the functional difference? To say we have are born with a corrupted image of God or that we a born in the image of Adam, which was a corrupted image of God seems to me to be the same thing. Can you clarify how you see them being different?
Jeremyshall
Jeremyshall

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz Wed May 09, 2012 12:23 pm

There isn't much of a functional difference between what you describe. However the #1 scenario I am describing doesn't necessarily mean that the image of God we are born with is corrupted at all. In other words, I think to most people when they think of us having the image of God they don't see it as a perverted version of that image.

Also, and maybe more importantly, I think the term "image of Adam" is a good Biblical way to describe original sin and to reinforce that concept.
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

https://thenlive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

So more terminology than theology... I am down with that.
Jeremyshall
Jeremyshall

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall Sun May 13, 2012 8:11 pm

RssIn reading this week's chapter I looked up 1 Corinthians 9:6 and James 3:9,as well as the genesis verses -5:1-3 and I may have to disagree a bit.. The new testament verses clearly state that man is in God's image, so I think that it is that we are in Adams image only because he was also in God's image. We are image bearers of the same image. While saying this, I still am of the opinion that it is more terminology than theology.
Jeremyshall
Jeremyshall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum