How Should We Then Live?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

How Should We Then Live?
How Should We Then Live?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe" Discussion Board

3 posters

Go down

"Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe" Discussion Board Empty "Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe" Discussion Board

Post by XianSmitherman Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:48 pm

So, in this second chapter, when talking about how the Scriptures were written it uses this simile: "Peter tells us the Bible is not just made up like a fairy tale. Rather, the authors were carried along by the Holy Spirit as a boat is carried by a breeze that fills its sails." Now, I understand the message that it is trying to convey, but it bothers me since sails can be adjusted. Humans can not bend God's Word like a sailboat can with wind, though. Am I just over-analyzing this?
XianSmitherman
XianSmitherman

Back to top Go down

"Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe" Discussion Board Empty Re: "Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe" Discussion Board

Post by JoelKizz Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm glad you posted this question because I think this forum would be a great place for "spill over" and what-not as we go through the doctrine book. Jeremy if you don't mind Ill send a link to everyone in the class and maybe give people a chance to continue the convo from Mon morning since we are limited on time...plus might get some others plugged into other parts of the forum as well.
Christian, as to your question perhaps over analyzation is the proper diagnosis however I might not be the best to make that call because I am a bit more "liberal" than some on matters of inerrancy.
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

https://thenlive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

"Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe" Discussion Board Empty Re: "Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe" Discussion Board

Post by JoelKizz Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 pm

BTW, who is the kid in your picture?
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XianSmitherman Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:28 am

Bad Luck Brian
XianSmitherman
XianSmitherman

Back to top Go down

Post by XianSmitherman Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:29 am

XianSmitherman
XianSmitherman

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 am

writeThats funny, I will now. try to write my own.
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:51 am

I think this is a great place for overflow! I had assumed this was going to be the place for it so yea, please send it out, Joel.
Jeremyshall
Jeremyshall

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:16 am

Christian, all analogies, similes, etc. break down after a point, but I agree that this one was a weak one to begin with. I think if they would have painted the picture of a massive storm that blows the boat along, regardless of sail structure, it would have been better.
Jeremyshall
Jeremyshall

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 pm

moving this to "Book Reviews" and making it the "official" discussion thread for the Doctrine class.
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:19 am

OK on the creation chapter the book says the following regarding the "Literary Framework Model":
"God speaks of creation creatively by including poetry in the creation account of Genesis 1 and 2. Still, even when the Bible uses figurative and poetic language, it does so to communicate a literal truth, a fact that weakens this view."
I think this statement is a major "swing and a whiff." Yes its true that when the Bible uses figurative language it does so to communicate a literal truth. However, said truth is never what the passage "literally" says! Otherwise, it would be LITERAL language not figurative!
The literal truth(s) that the "Literary Framework Model" would communicate is that God is the author of creation, active in creation, worthy of worship for creation etc etc.
Seems the author would have us believe the figurative imagery in the Bible is supposed to represent the exact literal thing written of in the passage. (i.e. the figurative use of a tree is supposed to represent well, a tree)
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 am

Christian, I know we talked yesterday about M. Driscoll maybe not being as versed as he should be on the subject of Origins, but I just read this article from him, which, of course, covers some of the same ground in the book, but I found the extra resources offered at the bottom of the article to be interesting in light of our conversation.
http://theresurgence.com/2006/07/03/answers-to-common-questions-about-creation
Jeremyshall
Jeremyshall

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz Sat May 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Moved this original thread to the "chapter 3" thread of the Doctrine forum as that seems to be where most of the discussion was concentrated. In the future please post questions and comments in the specific chapter thread that is relevant to your post. This should help keep some clarity as opposed to one long thread that encompasses the entire book.
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall Sun May 06, 2012 12:03 am

I love the new look. This is going to make it better in the future to look back on the discussions and see what was going on. Great job Joel!
Jeremyshall
Jeremyshall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down