How Should We Then Live?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

How Should We Then Live?
How Should We Then Live?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today I Found.......

3 posters

Go down

Today I Found....... Empty Today I Found.......

Post by XianSmitherman Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 pm

I stumbled upon this as I was browsing r/Christianity today and wanted y'all's opinion on it.
fundamentalmisconception.blogspot.com

*Apparently I can't make a hyperlink until I've been a member for 7 days. Copy and paste!
XianSmitherman
XianSmitherman

Back to top Go down

Today I Found....... Empty Re: Today I Found.......

Post by JoelKizz Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:57 pm

What?!?! Ill see if i can change the setting on the 7 day period...
and here is a link for now: http://fundamentalmisconception.blogspot.com/
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

https://thenlive.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremyshall Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:37 am

I found that article to be well written, insightful, and interesting. More importantly, I found it to be DEAD WRONG. The writer started with the idea that we can not know God in any other way than a subjective sense, as defined by how I interpret what I am reading in the Bible. There is no way to know truth, and all revelations are subjugated to my own intellect. I disagree with this premise. I believe ultimate truth exist, and is laid out in the Bible. Our concern is not to see life as truth and fit the Bible to what we see, but to correctly see life as defined in the Bible. Our mind does play a part in this process, but only so much as can be said to have been renewed by the Holy Spirit. More importantly is the "new man" in us. God opens our eyes to see His truth, and we must change our world view to fit that revelation.
Jeremyshall
Jeremyshall

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:38 am

OK I'm just now reading this but let me say the definition of "name calling" from the pyramid illustration is epic!
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelKizz Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 am

OK first I disagree with Jeremy. I cant give this the stamp of "well written" as he begins with showing the different types of fallacious arguments and then proceeds to commit each and every one of them. Also, it was a bit hard to glean his thesis or proposition as it appeared to be all over the place. Homosexuality is not a sin? Christians treat homosexuals unfairly? Christians should not rely upon scripture to make social judgement? That God isn't active in the daily workings and or creation of man? Too broad.
On a personal note of response, I will agree with Jeremy. There are certain ideological beliefs I must maintain in order to be a Christian. Certain lines in the sand that just cant be crossed. Belief in scripture just so happens to be one of those. Therefore, if you want to convince me that homosexual behavior is appropriate before the Lord as an act of worship (as heterosexual sex within marriage is) then you simply must show me in scripture. This is because of my reading of New Covenant text (like Romans 1) lead me to believe it is not acceptable. It would be different if I held an outside belief and then said "show me in scripture" but here the belief itself is derived from scripture.
I am not the person he described in the beginning of the article who simply wont change his mind, BUT I do need to be convinced with a scriptural argument. I do like his points about the way a Christian should treat homosexuals but disagree that changing stereotypical handling of the situation to one of a loving nature has to lead to acceptance of the activity as a righteous one.
JoelKizz
JoelKizz
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum